Application Fee Refund Policy
In general, the application fee is not refundable. However, a partial refund (after administrative fees are deducted) or a full refund may be possible in the following cases.
- When the application fee has been paid multiple times, or in cases in when it is clear that the amount paid exceeds the amount for the application fee and administrative fees set by APU.
- When your application is deemed inadmissible and is not screened.
To receive a refund, the Refund Request Form needs to be submitted to the Admissions Office within 4 weeks of the application deadline you applied for.*1 Requests for a refund will not be accepted after this period.*2 Please note that it may take up to 3 months to receive the refund.
- *1 If the application fee is paid multiple times, the extra amount(s) will be returned even if a request is not made.
- *2 If multiple payments or an overpayment is revealed through your credit card statement after the above deadline, contact the Admissions Office at the email address below.
If you are required to submit the online assessment and you completed or started (if you have entered even one item in) the assessment, you will not be eligible for a refund as the application fee will be used to cover the costs of the assessment.
A. If you pay the application fee by bank transfer
The excess amount you paid will be refunded after deducting the correct application fee (evaluation fee + administrative fee) amount set by APU. Any transaction fees incurred while transferring the refund must be borne by the recipient.
If an overseas bank transfer is required to make the refund, the refunded amount may be 0 for even negative after the transaction fees are deducted. Transaction fees required for a bank transfer vary depending on the intermediary bank and the recipient’s bank. It cannot be calculated in advance and the actual amount may not be known until after the refund has been processed. Please note that if the refunded amount is negative after transaction fees are deducted, the additional cost must be borne by the recipient and it cannot be charged to APU. Furthermore, we may reject a refund request if the refunded amount will clearly be negative.
- Examples of when the refunded amount will be negative:
- When applying to APU as an international applicant residing outside Japan, you paid 8,000 JPY by bank transfer for the application fee when you should have only paid 7,000 JPY. You want to continue with your application.
- Example of the Refunded Amount (in JPY):
- 8,000 JPY (amount paid) – 7,000 JPY (evaluation fee + transaction fee) – 2,000 JPY (transaction fee when processing the refund) = –1,000 JPY
Your refund will be negative, and 1,000 JPY may be deducted from your bank account. Transaction fees incurred when transferring the refund amount cannot be calculated in advance. Depending on the country/region, it may cost around 2,000 JPY.
B. If you pay the application fee by credit card
If the application fee was paid by credit card, the amount after deducting any processing fees will be refunded to your credit card. The amount will not be refunded by bank transfer. Processing fees vary depending on the credit card company.
Application Fee Refund Request
Send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- 1. Application ID number
- 2. Reasons for a refund request
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University
Office of International Admissions