Select a Language

Teachers, Counselors, Family | APU Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University

Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University International Undergraduate Admissions

Teachers, Counselors, Family


Q1: What are the steps leading up to admission into APU?
A1: In order to be admitted at APU as a first year student, follow the steps below:
  • 1. Submit an application form and other required documents by the application deadline. Application forms may be submitted online or by post. The application period is June to October for April enrollment and September to April for September enrollment.
  • 2. Pay the application fee (by credit card or bank transfer)
  • 3. Attend the designated interview
  • 4. Receive result notification and scholarship notification from APU (online and by post)
  • 5. Pay enrollment fees and submit enrollment documents
  • 6. APU applies for the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in Japan on the student’s behalf. Once the COE is issued by the Immigration Bureau of Japan, APU will send it to the applicant by post.
  • 7. Carry your passport and COE to the nearest Japanese Embassy/Consulate and apply for a Student Visa.
  • 8. Enter Japan
  • 9. Enter APU
Q2: When and where will the interview be conducted?
A2: After receiving the application and confirming the payment of application fee, APU will process the application and send an email informing you of the interview date and time.
Q3: Who should we contact with questions regarding APU and the application process?
A3: APU has several overseas offices where you can make inquiries in your native language. You may also contact the Admissions Office by email at (undergraduate) or (graduate school).
Q4: Does my child/student need a visa to study in Japan? If so, how does he/she obtain this visa?
A4: Yes, all international students require a student visa to study in Japan. APU will assist in the visa process for successful applicants by applying for a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) on their behalf. Once the student receives the COE from APU, they themselves must apply for the student visa at a nearby Japanese embassy/consulate.
Q5: Where is APU located and how does one travel there?
A5: APU is located in Beppu City, Oita Prefecture, Japan. The city is situated on the island of Kyushu in southwest Japan and is a famous tourist destination known for its variety and volume of hot springs. To access APU, you can travel via Fukuoka International Airport which has direct flights to 18 major cities around the world. This airport is a two hour bus ride from APU. Alternatively, you can travel via Oita International Airport, which has fewer direct international flights but is only an hour away by bus from Beppu City.
Q6: Can my child/student get a part-time job while studying at APU? How can he/she find one?
A6: Students with valid work permits are allowed to work up to 28 hours a week during the semesters and up to 40 hours a week during vacations. A visa liaison service is available at APU Student Office to help students apply for the correct work permit. Information regarding on-campus as well as off-campus jobs is availed through the APU On-Campus Student Job Center in both English and Japanese.
Q7: What options are available to students in regard to specific dietary restrictions, different religions?
A7: There are several places to buy vegetarian food and halal food both on and off campus. There are also a mosque and churches in Beppu that many APU students choose to attend.
Q8: What health care facilities are available?
A8: APU has a health clinic on campus open between 10:00 and 17:00 on weekdays and holidays during which classes are held. Should your child/student need counselling during off hours or more specialized care, Beppu City also has many clinics and hospitals to meet these needs. As all students are covered by the Japan National Health Insurance, in most cases, your child/student will only need to pay 30% of the medical fees.
Q9: What accommodation options are available?
A9: All international students live in APU's on-campus dormitory, AP House, for their first year. AP House provides a perfect environment for students to concentrate on their studies and adapt to their new life in Japan while establishing a network of good friends for him/herself. For their second year, many students move off campus to apartments, independent dormitories, or shared housing. APU supports students in finding off campus accommodation.
Q10: Is Beppu a safe city?
A10: Beppu is one of the safest destinations in the world for studying abroad. In fact, it also has a much lower crime rate compared to Tokyo or other major cities in Japan. Additionally, the local community is very welcoming and it is common that neighbors will offer help when your child/student needs it.
Q11: What support does APU offer to help my child/student find a job in Japan or another country after graduation?
A11: APU Career Office provides career guidance to support your child/student in designing his/her career path as early as in their first year at APU. Built on that, there are workshops and individual counselling that help students acquire the skills he/she needs for job hunting. From their 3rd year, students can attend on-campus recruiting events at which companies from Japanese and overseas provide information, interviews and directly hire APU students. Every year, approximately 400 companies come to APU campus for this purpose. Career development for students is also supported by APU’s global alumni network.
Q12: How will my child/student change from a student visa to a working visa if he/she finds a job in Japan after graduation?
A12: For international graduating students who find employment in Japan, APU and the Japanese employer will support the student in obtaining the appropriate work visa.


Q13: Can you send all correspondences to my email instead of my child’s email or cc me in all emails that you send to my child?
A13: To protect individual privacy, we only send information to the applicant as specified in the application form. Please communicate with your child throughout the application process.
Q14: What should my child bring with him/her to Japan?
A14: Basic necessities are easy to buy in Beppu and they are not expensive. Besides, once your child arrives at AP House, the House Activity Organizers (HAO), who are student volunteers, will hold ‘shopping tours’ to help you child buy things he/she need.
Q15: My child does not speak Japanese. Is there any support available for his/her travel to APU?
A15: Your child can communicate in English at airports in Japan. APU has arrival assistance services available during enrollment period at Fukuoka International Airport and Oita International Airport. At the airport, your child will be greeted by staff and directed to buses bound for APU. Prior registration for this services is required.
Q16: I want to go to Japan together with my child to attend the Entrance Ceremony and also hope to visit him/her once in a while. Can APU help me with my visa? Can I stay with him/her in AP House?
A16: You are welcome to attend the Entrance Ceremony and visit your child at APU at your convenience, however, we will not be able to help you with the visa application. In regard to accommodation, AP House is designated for students only and cannot lodge students’ family members. However, since Beppu is a tourist city, several Japanese and Western-styled hotels and inns are available and can be booked online.
Q17: I cannot travel to Japan to attend the Entrance Ceremony and see my child’s other activities and graduation. Is there any way I can catch up with those events?
A17: The Entrance Ceremonies, Graduation Ceremonies and Grand Shows of Multicultural Weeks are streamed live online through Ustream. You can keep up with campus events and see some of them live by regularly checking this website.
Q18: What is the best way to get in touch with my child while he/she is at APU?
A18: When your child arrives at APU, it may take a few weeks to over a month for them to register for a mobile phone. In the interim, you may communicate with them via email, online chat or a VOIP service such as SKYPE. APU has free internet access for students all over campus and Wi-Fi at many locations.
Q19: How can I send money to my child when he/she is attending APU?
A19: During orientation, APU will help your child open a bank account at a local bank which can receive overseas remittance. Please check your country’s bank procedures on how you can send to his/her bank account and at what fee.


Q20: I have more questions regarding APU, who can I contact?
A20: APU has several overseas offices where you cannot only ask questions but also find out specific information for counselors and teachers in your country. Alternatively, you may contact the APU Admissions Office directly by email at (undergraduate) or (graduate school).
Q21: How can my students get APU Tuition Reduction Scholarships?
A21: APU offers scholarships to outstanding international students which come in the form of a tuition reduction of 30%, 50%, 65%, 80% or 100% lasting for four years of study. The scholarships are based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, past academic performance, language ability, extracurricular activities, personal achievements, economic factors, application documents and interview. Should your students wish to apply for a scholarship, we require that they submit a scholarship essay together with the general application.
Q22: I would like to visit APU and see the campus with my own eyes. Is there any way I can do that?
A22. If you travel on your own to APU and inform us in advance, we are more than happy to give you an insight campus tour.
Q23: Can APU send me updated pamphlets, videos and presentations that I can show to my students?
A23: Yes, please send your request to We will do our best to provide you with the materials you need. However, please also understand that customs in some countries may restrict sending these kinds of materials. We recommend you to refer to our website which also has downloadable documents.