Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program
Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP)
To be considered for this scholarship, applicants must first apply to APU. APU will then select eligible candidates to recommend to the scholarship organization. After being selected for recommendation from APU, applicants must apply to the scholarship organization directly.
About the Scholarship
This scholarship is offered jointly by the World Bank and the government of Japan. It targets individuals from World Bank (WB) member countries who wish to undertake graduate studies at universities renowned for their development research and teaching. The aim of this scholarship is to help create an international community of highly-trained professionals working in the fields of economic and social development. Recipients will be expected to actively participate in capacity-building efforts in their home countries and regions upon graduation. Since 2007, APU has been a Cooperating University with this scholarship, providing funding to students who wish to study in APU's Graduate School of Asia Pacific Studies (GSA) (excluding IMAT program applicants).
- 1. Be a national of a World Bank member country
- 2. Not be a dual citizen of any developed country
- 3. Hold a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent degree) earned at least three years prior to the application deadline date
- 4. Have three years or more of recent development-related work experience after earning a bachelor's (or equivalent) degree
- 5. Be employed in development-related work in a paid full-time position at the time of submitting the scholarship application
- 6. Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of any type of appointment of the World Bank Group or a close relative of the aforementioned by blood or adoption with the term "close relative" defined as: Mother, Father, Sister, Half-sister, Brother, Half-brother, Son, Daughter, Aunt, Uncle, Niece, or Nephew.
- 7. Intend to enroll at APU in September 2020
Please visit the World Bank's website for the latest country list.
- Full admission fee
- Full tuition
- 144,000 JPY/month for living expenses (amount subject to change)
- Economy class air travel between the home country and APU at the beginning and end of the study program
- 500 USD allowance for travel expenses (the first trip’s allowance will be included with the first living expense payment)
- September 2020 Enrollment: August 1, 2019 (Thu) - February 25, 2020 (Tue)
Request to be considered for this scholarship within the APU online application and submit the
application by February 25, 2020. In addition to the required APU application documents, applicants
must also upload a digital copy of the following documents within the APU online application:
a. Certificate(s) of employment showing at least three years of work experience acquired after receiving a bachelor’s degree
b. Abstract of a previously written thesis or an example of previous written work and/or list of research achievements to date
- 2. APU reviews application documents and selects suitable candidates to recommend to the JJ/WBGSP
- 3. Applicants selected to be recommended for this scholarship are notified with their final APU application results
- 4. Selected applicants submit the World Bank Online Application before the JJ/WBGSP application deadline
- 5. Applicants submit a copy of the submitted World Bank Online Application to APU by email
- 6. The final scholarship award results are decided by JJ/WBGSP and announced to those who are successfully selected to receive the scholarship in July. (Those who are not selected to receive the scholarship will not be contacted.)