Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP)
This scholarship is offered jointly by the World Bank and the government of Japan. It targets individuals from World Bank (WB) member countries who wish to undertake graduate studies at universities renowned for their development research and teaching. The aim of this scholarship is to help create an international community of highly-trained professionals working in the fields of economic and social development. Recipients will be expected to actively participate in capacity-building efforts in their home countries and regions upon graduation. Since 2007, APU has been a Cooperating University with this scholarship, providing funding to students who wish to study in APU's Graduate School of Asia Pacific Studies (GSA) each year (excluding IMAT program applicants).
- 1. Be a national of a World Bank member country
- 2. Not be currently residing in a developed country for a period longer than one year
- 3. Not be a dual citizen of any industrialized country
- 4. Not be an executive director and/or staff of the World Bank Group, nor a consultant, relative, or in-law of the aforementioned
- 5. Have a bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree earned at least 3 years prior to the application deadline date
- 6. Be currently employed in a paid and full-time position at the time of application
- 7. Have at least three but no more than 20 years of full-time paid work experience in development-related work in your home country or another developing country after obtaining a bachelor’s or equivalent university degree
Please visit the World Bank's website for the latest country list. Applicants who have been currently residing in an industrialized country for a period longer than one year will not be considered.
- Full admission fee
- Full tuition
- 144,000 JPY/month for living expenses (amount subject to change for 2020)
- Economy class air travel between the home country and APU at the beginning and end of the study program
- 500 USD allowance for travel expenses (the first trip’s allowance will be included with the first living expense payment)
- September 2020 Enrollment: August 1, 2019 (Thu) - February 25, 2020 (Tue)
Please apply for this scholarship at the same time that you apply to APU.
In order to apply, you must submit all the APU application documents, as well as the Eligibility Criteria Checklist and the additional required documents below, before the application deadline.
- The process for applying to the master's program is as follows:
- 1. Submit the Online Application (including PDF versions of the required hard copy application documents)
- 2. Pay the application fee
- 3. Send hard copies of all required application documents to APU by post
- 4. Submit the online video interview
Additional Required Documents1. Certificate(s) of employment showing at least three years of work experience acquired after receiving a bachelor’s degree
2. Abstract of a previously written thesis or an example of previous written work and/or list of research achievements to date
If selected for recommendation to this scholarship by APU, applicants must also submit the World Bank Online Application before the JJ/WBGSP application deadline. Such applicants will also need to send a copy of the submitted World Bank Online Application to APU by email.