Congratulations on being accepted to APU! Here are the general steps for enrollment.
Due to COVID-19 there maybe changes to the semester schedule, including a delay to move-in dates, orientation, start of classes, etc. Please see our main APU website for more detailed information and the most recent updates. Our admissions website also has a COVID-19 Admissions FAQ which we update with any new changes made to the application and enrollment process.
1. Enrollment Fee 1 Payment
- Admission Fee: 200,000 JPY
A non-refundable fee of 200,000 JPY is required for all students (regardless of scholarship amount) to enroll at APU. Please be sure to pay the Admissions Fee only after you have firmly decided to enroll at APU and have made a clear and firm financial plan to cover your expenses both before and after your enrollment to APU. Internal applicants, APU graduates, and Ritsumeikan University graduates are not required to pay the admission fee.
2. Document Submission
- 1.Online Enrollment Procedures System
Complete the required information within the Online Enrollment Procedures System:
- 1)PDF upload of the completed Enrollment Procedures Checklist
- 3)Confirmation of Residence at AP House
- 4)PDF upload of the completed Student Health Questionnaire (including Immunization Record of Measles and Rubella)
- 5)Copy of receipt(s) for Enrollment Fee 1 and Enrollment Fee 2 payments (Only if paid by bank transfer. Not required if paid by WU GlobalPay for Students.)
- 6)Copy of valid passport (If you need a student visa and did not submit a copy at the time of application.)
- 7)Comprehensive Renter's Insurance for International Students Application
- 8)Additional PDF uploads of documents 14), 15), 16), 17), 18), and 19) below
- 2.Original Versions of Application Documents SEND BY POST
- 9)Academic Transcripts (Original certificate or certified document1)
- 10)Results of Language Proficiency Tests (Original only)
Required if you submitted results for the TOEIC® L&R Test.
- 11)Translation Documents (Original only2)
- 12)Certificate of Employment (Original only2)
- 3.Enrollment Documents for All Admitted Applicants SEND BY POST
- 13)Two identical photographs
- 14)Financial Plan
- 15)Statement of Financial Support
- 16)Documents to prove financial sponsor's income and/or financial sponsor's bank account balance statement
- 17)Certificate of Graduation or Completion from the last educational institution you attended (Original certificate or certified document1)
- 18)Translation Documents2
- 19)Additional documents APU asks you to submit
1A certified document is one that has been marked as being equivalent to the original with a stamp or seal by the issuing institution (preferred) or a notary public.
2English or Japanese translations are required for any of the above documents written in languages other than English or Japanese. Pease submit an official translation that includes the translator's name, address, contact details, and signature or official seal. APU will only accept translations created by the original document's issuing institution, a translation company, or a licensed translator.
3. Enrollment Fee 2 Payment
You must pay your First Semester Tuition, AP House Entrance Fee, and Comprehensive Renters' Insurance before your payment deadline. Please refer to your Invoice for Required Enrollment Fees and Procedures for the amount.
- First Semester Tuition
You must pay your first semester's tuition before enrolling. your tuition will vary according to your APU Tuition Reduction Scholarship percantage. Please refer to the Invoice for Required Enrollment Fees and Procedures for the amount.
- AP House Entrance Fee
This is the entrance fee for the student housing facility at APU called AP House. New students are required to stay in AP House during their first year. For further break down of what this fee includes, please refer to the Enrollment Procedures Handbook.
• April enrollment: 229,000 JPY
• September enrollment: 204,500 JPY
- Comprehensive Renters’ Insurance
This insurance is for protection in case of liability, and all international students who possess a student visa need to join this program. For more information, please refer to the Guide to Comprehensive Renters’ Insurance for International Students Studying in Japan found in th Online Enrollment Procedures System. (The fees are subject to change. Even if you do not stay in AP House, you must still pay the Comprehensive Renters' Insurance.)
• Doctoral Program: 13,010 JPY
• Master's Program: 8,980 JPY
• IMAT Program: 4,950 JPY
4. Student Visa, Arrival at APU, Orientation
Due to the current situation with COVID-19, there are frequent updates to the enrollment process, especially concerning visas and entry restictions. We ask that you check the main APU website for any official updates made by the university, as well as having a look at our admissions website COVID-19 Admissions FAQ for information regarding changes and updates. Therefore, if you have any questions regarding applying for a visa, traveling to Japan and to APU, or any other topics related to the enrollment process, contact us by email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once Enrollment Fee 1 and 2 have been paid and all necessary documents have been received by APU, the process to obtain a student visa will begin. However, please note that based on travel restrictions, there is a possiblilty a visa will not be issued. Regularly check the admissions website and your local Japanese Embassy for Consulate General's website for the latest updates on immigration regulations.