Select a Language

Preparing to Travel to APU | APU Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University

Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University International Undergraduate Admissions

Preparing to Travel to APU

Preparing to Travel to APU

1. When to Arrive at APU

Please make your flight arrangements after checking the AP House move-in period scheduled by APU as shown below. If you wish to be covered by travel insurance, please arrange it by yourself. The Japan National Health Insurance is valid only from the day you arrive in Japan.

2. What to Bring in Your Luggage

  • Flight ticket
  • Passport
  • COE (Sent to you after the completion of your enrollment procedures.)
  • Letter of Enrollment Approval (Sent to you after the completion of your enrollment procedures.)
  • APU Japanese Pre-Enrollment Assignment Booklet and “Itsutsu no Tobira” (only for English-basis students)

After arriving in Japan, it takes time to open a Japanese bank account. Please bring enough money (about 200,000 yen) with you to cover your expenses for two months (living and textbook costs, etc.).

Please note there are some currencies that cannot be exchanged in Japan.

Everyday Items

Tableware, cooking utensils, and other daily items are available at the APU COOP shop. We recommend that you bring a minimum amount of the following items: clothing, books, writing utensils, medicine, (bath) towels, etc. You may wish to bring formal clothing for official ceremonies and interviews.

Please note that you may bring at most two pieces of luggage (e.g. one suitcase and one carry-on bag) with you to APU. You will not be permitted to board the airport bus if you have more than two pieces of luggage.

Important Information for Students Taking Medication

Students currently taking medication should speak with their doctor about treatment after enrollment. The types of medicine that can be brought into Japan are limited. Some medications are not permitted at all, while limited amounts of others are allowed. Incoming students should check with the Japanese Embassy or the Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare in advance, and make any necessary preparations so that they can continue to take their medications after arriving.

Additionally, any students undergoing any form of psychiatric medicinal treatment (such as for mental, developmental, or sleep disorders) should notify APU. There are no medical facilities which can treat mental illnesses in languages other than Japanese in Oita prefecture where APU is located. If a student does not speak Japanese, there are no medical institutions that can provide treatment or issue prescriptions for medication. Most medications like these have restrictions on what can be brought into the country. Before coming to Japan, students should check with the Japanese Embassy or the Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare as to whether or not the medicines they are prescribed can be brought into the country, and check with their doctor about managing their own health and medications while attending APU.

Any questions should be addressed to the APU Health Clinic at the email address listed in the Enrollment Procedures Handbook.

3. Sending Luggage in Advance

You can send up to two boxes (Total dimensions length + height + width must be within 120cm) during one of the following periods:

  • After April 1 for April 2020 enrollees (Luggage already shipped will be accepted)
  • After September 9 for September 2020 enrollees

Be sure to write your APPLICATION NUMBER and NAME clearly in ENGLISH on all the boxes you send.

Send to:
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University AP House 2
1-2 Jumonjibaru, Beppu, Oita 874-0011 JAPAN
Tel: +81-977-78-1955 (Extension: 9500)

4. Arrival Assistance

APU provides a free Arrival Assistance Service for new students during certain move-in dates. With this service, students will be greeted at the airport and directed to buses bound for AP House, the APU student dormitory. This service is available at Fukuoka Airport (international terminal) only. Please make your own travel arrangements to AP House if you intend to arrive outside the Arrival Assistance Service period or use an airport other than Fukuoka airport.

If you would like to use the Arrival Assistance service, you will need to submit the Arrival Assistance request form. A link to access the Arrival Assistance request form will be posted on the Admitted Applicants page approximately three months before your enrollment date (around January for April enrollment and around June for September enrollment).

Arrival Assistance at Fukuoka Airport (International Terminal)
  • 1.Airport staff will greet incoming students at the arrival lobby.
    Students on domestic flights arriving at Fukuoka Airport (domestic terminal) are requested to use the free shuttle bus service to go to the international terminal where the Arrival Assistance Service is available.
  • 2. Airport staff will assist with converting other currencies into yen. Some of the foreign currencies accepted include US dollars (USD), Euros (EUR), Chinese yuan (CNY), Indonesian rupiah (IDR), Korean won (KRW), Taiwanese dollars (TWD), Thai baht (THB), and Vietnamese dong (VND).

    IMPORTANT: Please check in advance the business hours of the currency exchange counters and banks at Fukuoka Airport on their website. If you will be arriving at the airport after the business hours, be sure to purchase yen before your departure.
  • 3.Airport staff will help students take buses bound for AP House. (Airport staff will not board the buses with students.)
  • 4.RAs (Resident Assistants) will welcome students at AP House and assist with move-in procedures.

If your flight will arrive at Fukuoka Airport after the designated Arrival Assistance Service pickup time, please arrange to stay at a hotel on the day of your arrival and use the Arrival Assistance Service on the following day. If you will arrive at Oita Airport, please make your way directly to AP House. You will be able to move into AP House even if you arrive after the AP House Office has closed for the day.

AP House

AP House is a student housing facility operated by Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University. AP House was established to provide a secure living environment for international students and to enable residents to develop cross-cultural understanding through community living. Life at AP House makes it easier for new students to get used to their new environment and make new friends, while preparing to live off campus from their second year at APU.

All first year international students are required to stay at AP House for one academic year.

Room Types

AP House has both single and shared rooms. The university will assign you to a room.

Rooms are equipped with the following items:
Desk, chair, bookshelf, lighting, telephone, TV aerial socket, closet, bed, pillow, sheets, refrigerator, shelves, air conditioner/heater, shoe box, wireless internet connection (free Wi-Fi), sink, hot-water heater, toilet, trash box. (The shared-type rooms do not have sink, hot-water heater, and toilet.)

Residence Duration

April 2020 enrollees are able to stay in AP House from the end of March 2020 until the end of February 2021. September 2020 enrollees are able to stay in AP House from the middle of September 2020 until the end of August 2021. Specific move-in dates will be announced at a later date. In general, students are able to live in AP House for one full academic year (approx. 11 months).

Payment of Rent

The monthly rent for AP House is 49,000 JPY. All AP House residents are required to open an account at a bank specified by APU after enrollment. Rent will be automatically withdrawn from this designated bank account on the first day of every month after moving in. Rent will be withdrawn starting from June for April enrollees and starting from November for September enrollees.

Additional Information

  • 1.In AP House, smoking is allowed only within the designated smoking areas and is prohibited in individual rooms.
  • 2.Your room number, room information, and key will be given when you check in at AP House. The room's extension number will not be provided prior to check in.
  • 3.You may not bring refrigerators, kerosene stoves, gas cookers, or large items of furniture into AP House.
  • 4.AP House does not serve any meals. You may use the cafeteria on campus or cook in the shared kitchens at AP House. As AP House does not supply any cooking utensils, please be sure to bring or buy your own. A microwave oven and a toaster are provided in the kitchen.
  • 5.AP House cooking stoves are all induction heater (IH) types. Only pans designed for use on IH stoves can be used when cooking.
  • Living Expenses in Japan

    Living in Beppu costs approximately 1,000,000 JPY per year. The tables below show an estimate of the monthly living expenses for the first year of study while staying at AP House, and also the estimated monthly living expenses required after moving out of AP House (off campus) from the second year. Please be aware that moving out of AP House and into apartments off-campus may require additional costs.

    Monthly Living Expenses
    (living in AP House)
    AP House Rent 49,000 JPY
    Food 30,000 JPY
    Miscellaneous 6,000 JPY

    Total 85,000 JPY
    Annual Living Expenses: 1,020,000 JPY
    Monthly Living Expenses
    (living off-campus)
    Accommodation 40,000 - 50,000 JPY
    Utilities 6,000 JPY
    Food 30,000 JPY
    Transportation 6,000 JPY
    Miscellaneous 8,000 JPY
    Total 90,000 - 100,000 JPY
    Annual Living Expenses: 1,080,000 - 1,200,000 JPY

    APU can provide information on off-campus apartments when you leave AP House at the end of your first year.