APU Online Application System

What should I do if I forgot my password for the APU Online Application System?
If you have forgotten or lost your password, please notify us by filling in the form on our contact page.

Studying at APU

What can I study at APU?
There are two graduate schools at APU, the Graduate School of Asia Pacific Studies (GSA) and the Graduate School of Management (GSM).

In the GSA there is a master’s degree program and a doctorate degree program. For the GSA master’s degree, students can choose between our Asia Pacific Studies (APS) program or our International Cooperation Policy (ICP) program, both will lead to a Master of Science. In our doctorate degree program students can study Asia Pacific Studies (APS), leading to a Doctor of Philosophy.
For the GSM, students can study in our Business Administration (MBA) program, leading to a Master of Business Administration.
I've never been to Japan and I don't speak Japanese. Can I still study at APU?
Yes. Our graduate schools’ curriculum is taught completely in English. Therefore, Japanese ability is not required.
Can I study Japanese at APU?
Basic Japanese language subjects are available for those who are interested in studying Japanese. The classes are Survival Japanese 1 and 2 and Japanese for Communication 1 through 4. Japanese for Communication courses are only available for those who complete or test out of the Survival Japanese classes 1 and 2.
For students studying in our Graduate School of Management, Japanese for Communication classes can be counted towards the credit requirements for program completion.
*All students who wish to take Japanese language classes must take the mandatory Japanese Placement Test after enrolling at APU.
Can I major in Japanese at APU?
APU does not offer a degree in Japanese.
What career support does APU offer?
APU has support through the Career Office to help students in their job search. APU’s professors also offer their support to students, and there are Alumni Panel events held for students considering employment in Japan.

Life at APU / in Japan

I have never been to Japan and/or do not speak the language. What assistance does APU provide to help me when I first arrive?
APU provides an arrival assistance service on specific dates before each semester where student staff greet incoming students at Fukuoka Airport and Oita Airport to help them travel to APU for the first time. Before classes start, as a new student, you will participate in several orientation sessions. Also, at AP House 4, the designated student housing facility for all graduate students, experienced students selected as Resident Assistants (RAs) are available to provide support to residents.
Is it expensive to live in Japan?
While Japan's metropolitan areas such as Tokyo and Osaka have quite high costs of living, APU is located in Beppu, which is a mid-sized city and thus considerably less expensive. Many students also choose to do part-time work while studying to help cover expenses.
Where do APU’s graduate students live?
The designated residence for graduate students is AP House 4, APU’s student housing facility, which is located off campus in downtown Beppu. It takes about 30 minutes to reach campus by local bus. For students who wish to live in different off-campus housing or if they are coming with their family, they can find other affordable options, as Beppu is considerably less expensive than other Japanese cities for private apartments and shared student housing.
How do most students commute to campus? Can students have a car or motorbike?
The city of Beppu is serviced by a comprehensive public bus system, which provides easy access to campus. As a student, you will be eligible to purchase a discounted yearly commuter bus pass. While you may own a car, you are not permitted to drive or park on campus. You may drive motorbikes to campus with proper permission.
Is part-time work available?
If you wish to do part-time work as an international student on a student visa, you are first required to apply for a work permit that allows you to work up to 28 hours per week part-time while school is in session. During breaks and vacations, you are permitted to work up to 40 hours a week. You can apply for this permit at the On-Campus Student Job Center after arriving at APU. Jobs are available both on and off campus. The average hourly wage is around 750-1000 JPY.
What dining options are available on campus?
The APU cafeteria on campus serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and is open daily even when classes are not in session. Pacific Café is another option and serves lighter food such as sandwiches and ice cream. This café is closed between semesters.
I am on a restricted diet. What options are available to accommodate this?
APU's cafeteria and café offer a variety of foods to meet the needs of those students with personal or religious diet requirements, such as vegetarian or halal. Additionally, AP House 4 has communal kitchens that students are free to use to prepare their own meals. Some restaurants in Beppu offer vegan, vegetarian and halal options as well.

Tuition, Fees, Scholarships and Financial Aid

How much is tuition at APU?
Tuition at APU varies for each of the Master’s programs and the Doctorate program.

Graduate School of Asia Pacific Studies (GSA) –
Total tuition for Master’s (2 years): 3,000,000 JPY
Total tuition for Ph.D. (3 years): 4,500,000 JPY

Graduate School of Management (GSM) –
Total tuition for Master’s (2 years): 4,000,000 JPY
What is included in the yearly tuition?
Tuition at APU covers course and administrative fees. Tuition does not cover other expenses such as housing, food, books or transportation.
What scholarships are available at APU?
International students who will obtain a student visa are eligible to apply for the APU Tuition Reduction Scholarship at the time of application. There are also External Scholarships available. Eligibility and application requirements can be found through the following link: https://admissions.apu.ac.jp/graduate/how_to_apply/external_scholarship/
Once you become an APU student, there are other scholarships that you can apply for. You will receive more information about these after enrollment.
How can I apply for the APU Tuition Reduction Scholarship?
To apply for the APU Tuition Reduction Scholarship, you are required to submit a scholarship application essay in addition to your other documents at the time of application. You will be evaluated for the scholarship based on all of your application documents and interviews*. It is not possible to apply for the APU Tuition Reduction Scholarship after enrollment.
*Only for applicants who are required to have an interview.
Does APU offer any scholarships to cover living expenses?
There are scholarships for living expenses that you may apply for after enrollment.
Does APU provide any loans or grants?
The Ritsumeikan Center for Asia Pacific Studies (RCAPS) offers financial subsidies for graduate school students in the form of a Master’s Field Research Support Subsidy for Master’s students and a Ph.D. Research Support Subsidy for Ph.D. students. These subsidies support graduate school students in their research endeavors. For more information on these subsidies, students can consult with the RCAPS secretariat on campus after enrolling at APU. There are also opportunities to apply for a number of different scholarships after enrollment and students are encouraged to apply for private scholarships in their home country if possible.

Applying to APU

Am I required to submit TOEFL/IELTS scores to apply to APU?
Whether or not you are required to submit TOEFL/IELTS scores depends on your application method and educational history. Please refer to the relevant application handbook for information.
Am I required to send original documents with my application? Is it possible to send a photocopy instead?
Applicants must submit either original certificates or certified documents*. APU will not return any of the submitted certificates (regardless of the certificate type). Therefore, please submit certified documents for original certificates that cannot be reissued.
*A certified document is one that has been marked as being equivalent to the original with a stamp or seal by the issuing institution (preferred) or a notary public.
May I submit any original documents by fax or online?
No. APU must receive your official documents by post. As we cannot verify the authenticity of faxes or electronic images, they cannot be used to make an admissions decision.
I cannot pay the application fee. Can you waive the application fee for me?
APU requires every applicant to pay the application fee. This fee cannot be waived. The fee covers the cost of screening your documents and the postage necessary to send you documents during the application process such as your admission result. APU cannot begin screening your application until the application fee has been confirmed.
What happens if an application is submitted without an application fee?
APU will not screen applications without confirming the payment of the application fee. In principle, APU will not contact applicants regarding unpaid application fees.
I am older than most students. Does this affect my application's chances?
There is no age restriction when applying to APU. We welcome individuals of any age to apply.
I submitted my application, but I have not heard anything from APU. How can I stay updated on my application’s status?
After receiving your application documents and application fee, we will inform you by email usually within one week. This may take longer if you submit your application close to a deadline or when the office is closed for an extended period, such as during mid-August or the New Year’s holidays. If you have not heard from APU within three weeks of your application's scheduled arrival, please contact us. We advise you to use a registered mail service that provides a tracking number when sending your application.
How long does it take until I receive my admission result?
After completing your application process and your application has been screened, you can expect to receive your admission result and APU Tuition Reduction Scholarship result in approximately four to five weeks. Results are mailed out by post on the scheduled result notification day and are also available online two or three days after this. You will receive an email letting you know how to check your results online.
Will you let me know if I forget to submit one of my documents?
If anything is missing from your application or we require any additional documentation, APU will contact you by email. Please check your email regularly so that you can respond to our inquiries as soon as possible. When you submit your application, make sure your email address and your postal address are written clearly and accurately. Please be aware that missing or incomplete documents may delay your admissions decision significantly.
I would like to know the current status of my application.
You are welcome to inquire about your submitted application status via our contact page. Please note that APU cannot give out final results by email or over the phone.
After applying, I moved or changed my mailing address. How should I update this information?
Please inform us at grad-rec@apu.ac.jp when you change your mailing address, telephone number or email address.
I cannot afford to pay the amount listed on the Invoice for Enrollment Procedure Fees all at once. Can I pay in installments or after I arrive at APU?
No. In order to begin your COE application process, APU must be able to confirm that you are financially able to support the cost of studying in Japan. For this reason, we must receive all fee payments before beginning the COE application process.

About Student Visa

What is a student visa?
A student visa is issued by your local Japanese embassy/consulate and grants you permission to enter Japan for an extended period of time and undertake university level studies. However, before you can apply for a student visa, you must obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
What is a Certificate of Eligibility (COE)?
A Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is a document that is required to obtain a visa and is issued by the Immigration Bureau of Japan. If you are accepted and plan to enroll at APU, APU will apply for the COE on your behalf once you complete all enrollment procedures. You will receive detailed instructions on how to complete these procedures after you are admitted. When the Immigration Bureau of Japan issues your COE, APU will send it to you by registered mail. You must then apply at your local Japan embassy/consulate for a student visa.
I have heard it is hard to receive a student visa. Is this true?
APU works very closely with every applicant and the Immigration Bureau to make sure applicants are able to receive their COE and a student visa. Typically, this process goes smoothly and as long as you submit all required documents in a timely manner with correct information and do not have a criminal record, you should be able to receive both the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and your student visa. However, please be advised that the Immigration Bureau of Japan and your local Japanese embassy/consulate make all final decisions regarding the issuance of COE’s and visas, and APU cannot guarantee that you will be granted these.
As part of the COE application, I must send documents such as bank statements. Can I send a photocopy?
When submitting official documents such as bank statements etc., APU cannot accept photocopies. APU must receive the original document. If you submit photocopies, we will not be able to process your COE application until the original document or certified copy is received. APU will not return any of the submitted certificates regardless of the certificate type. Therefore, please submit certified documents* for original certificates that cannot be reissued.
*A certified document is one that had been marked as being equivalent to the original with a stamp or seal by the issuing institution (preferred) or a notary public.
I have submitted all documents and paid all enrollment fees. When will I receive my COE?
Once we have received all of your documents and enrollment fee payments, your COE application will be processed and submitted to the Immigration Bureau. It usually takes about four weeks for the COE to be issued. Once APU receives the COE, we will send it to you by registered mail. This entire process, from the time we receive all your documents and enrollment fees to when receive your COE, takes approximately six weeks.

Traveling to Japan

When should I travel to Japan/APU?
APU will advise you on the dates that you should arrive on campus. Arrival assistance is available for those who arrive on the dates specified by the university before the semester begins. You should not arrive on campus earlier than the specified dates as there will be no available rooms in the dormitory, and you have to look on your own for accommodation.
What airport in Japan should I fly in to?
The closest major international airport to APU is Fukuoka Airport. If you are arriving in Japan at other airports (such as Narita, Haneda or Kansai), you can take a domestic flight to Oita Airport or Fukuoka Airport. (Limited flights between Oita Airport and South Korea are also available). Arrival assistance will be provided at Fukuoka Airport and Oita Airport on specified dates.
Can my family accompany me when I travel to APU?
If you are accepted to APU, your family can come live with you here in Japan while you study if they can get a family visa. However, they will not be able to come with you when you first arrive. After you come to Japan, you can begin the process to receive a family visa for your family members. It normally takes at least 3 months to receive the visa. They can come to Japan after their family visa is issued.