APU Students are eligible to receive a number of scholarships through organizations outside of APU. Each Scholarships has different eligibility requirements and application procedures, so please be sure to review the information on each scholarship organization’s website before applying.
List of Scholarships and Qualifying Academic Programs at APU (2020 intake)
|Sylff||✔||✔||✔||Automatically recommended by APU|
|MEXT(SGU)||✔||✔||✔||Apply to APU|
|MEXT(UR)||✔||✔||✔||Automatically recommended by APU|
|Mitsubishi||✔||✔||✔||Apply to APU|
|JJ/WBGSP||✔||1) Apply to APU
2) Apply to organization
|ADB-JSP||✔||Apply to APU|
|Nikkei Leader Scholarship||✔||✔||1) Apply to APU
2) Apply to organization
|Nikkei Scholarship||✔||✔||✔||1) Apply to organization
2) Apply to APU
|MEXT(Embassy)||✔||✔||✔||1) Apply to organization
2) Apply to APU
|AfDB-JADS||✔||Apply to organization|
|JASSO Scholarship||✔||✔||✔||✔||Apply after enrollment|
- The Ryoichi Sasakawa Young Leaders Fellowship Fund (Sylff)
- MEXT Scholarship (Top Global University Project)
- MEXT University Recommendation (UR)
- Mitsubishi Research Institute, Inc. – Asia Research Fellow Scholarship
- JJ/WBGSP = Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program
- ADB-JSP = Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship Program
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Scholarship for Nikkei Communities in Latin America and the Caribbean: Program for Developing Leaders in Nikkei Communities (Nikkei Leader Scholarship)
- The Nippon Foundation Nikkei Scholarship "Dream Come True Project" (Nikkei Scholarship)
- MEXT Scholarship (Embassy Recommendation)
- African Development Bank-Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (AfDB-JADS)
- Reservation Program for the Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship for Privately-Financed International Students by Pre-arrival Admission (JASSO Scholarship)
- Due to the time required to create a bank account and arrival procedures, students will not receive the first installment of living expenses until at least one month after arriving in Japan. Scholarship recipients are therefore advised to bring at least 100,000 JPY along with them to Japan to cover initial expenses.
- For scholarships that cover travel expenses to and from Japan, if the applicant cannot arrive in Japan during the set arrival period, the travel expenses will not be paid to applicants expected to receive them. Furthermore, if arrival in Japan is delayed for a considerable period of time, the scholarship may be revoked.
- Those who have or will receive scholarships from other institutions, including their own government, will not be selected for these scholarships.
- Any false statements made in the application documents could be grounds for revoking a grantee’s scholarship at a later date.
- The 2020 application guidelines for these scholarships have not yet been announced, so there may be changes to the eligibility requirements and/or scholarship awards. In addition, detailed rules and conditions that applicants must comply with to receive the scholarship are available on each organization’s website. Please be sure to confirm the regulations before applying.
- Applicants can apply for both the JJ/WBGSP and the ADB-JSP during the same enrollment period. In all other cases, applicants are not allowed to apply for multiple external scholarships in the same enrollment period.
- If you would like to apply for both the Nikkei Leader Scholarship and the Nikkei Scholarship, please consult with both scholarship organizations before applying to APU.
Other External Scholarships for 2020
- Japanese Grant Aid for Human Resource Development Scholarship (JDS)
- The Project for the Promotion and Enhancement of the Afghan Capacity for Effective Development (PEACE)
- Professional Human Resources Development Project IV (PHRDPIV)
- Japanese Initiative for the Future of Syrian Refugees (JISR)
- African Business Education Initiative for Youth (ABE Initiative)
Other external scholarships may also be available to students after beginning their studies at APU. If eligible, students can apply for these scholarships through APU’s Student Office on campus.