MEXT Top Global University Project (SGU)
MEXT (SGU) Scholarship
To be considered for this scholarship, applicants must first apply to APU. APU will then select eligible candidates to recommend to the scholarship organization.
About the Scholarship
This scholarship was established at APU after the university was selected for the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) Top Global University Project (SGU). Universities selected for this project can provide this scholarship to outstanding international students with excellent academic performance. The scholarship also aims to enhance the international competitiveness of Japanese universities.
- 1.Intend to study abroad in Japan
- 2.Not have Japanese nationality and be a national of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan
- 3.Be born on or after April 2, 1987
- 4.Have achieved a GPA of at least 2.50 on a 3.00 scale at their most recent university
- Those who are serving on active military duty or civilians employed by the military at the time of application are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Recipients must be able to arrive in Japan during the arrival period stipulated by APU.
- Those who apply for this scholarship at APU cannot be applying for it or any other MEXT scholarship at another university.
- Recipients of this scholarship cannot receive a scholarship from another scholarship organization while studying at APU.
- Recipients of this scholarship must have "student" as their status of residence (visa status) in Japan.
- 100% of tuition (covered by the APU Tuition Reduction Scholarship)
- 144,000 JPY per month for living expenses (amount subject to change)
- April 2022 Enrollment: The MEXT Scholarship will be provided for one year from April 2022 to March 2023.
- September 2022 Enrollment: The MEXT Scholarship will be provided for six months from October 2022 to March 2023.
- Continuation of the MEXT Scholarship may be possible upon reapplication.
- Together with the Top Global University project ending on March 31, 2024, the MEXT Top Global University Project (SGU) Scholarship will cease to exist from April 2024 onwards. Therefore, the scholarship will be provided until March 2024 and will not continue after this.
- 1. Request to be considered for this scholarship within the APU online application and submit the application by September 22, 2021 (for April 2022 enrollment) or November 17, 2021 (for September 2022 enrollment). Additional documents are not required to be considered for this scholarship.
- 2. APU reviews application documents and selects outstanding candidates to recommend to MEXT.
- 3. Applicants selected to be recommended for this scholarship are notified with their final APU application results.
- 4. Selected applicants complete and submit additional MEXT (SGU) application documents to APU.
- 5. The final scholarship award results are decided by MEXT.