MEXT Top Global University Project (SGU)
MEXT (SGU) Scholarship
To be considered for this scholarship, applicants must first apply to APU. APU will then select eligible candidates to recommend to the scholarship organization.
About the Scholarship
This scholarship was established at APU after the university was selected for the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) Top Global University Project (SGU). Universities selected for this project can provide this scholarship to outstanding international students with excellent academic performance. The scholarship also aims to enhance the international competitiveness of Japanese universities.
- 1.Intend to study abroad in Japan
- 2.Not have Japanese nationality and be a national of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan
- 3.Be born on or after April 2, 1988
- 4.Have achieved a GPA of at least 2.50 on a 3.00 scale at their most recent university
- Those who are serving on active military duty or civilians employed by the military at the time of application are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Recipients must be able to arrive in Japan during the arrival period stipulated by APU.
- Those who apply for this scholarship at APU cannot be applying for it or any other MEXT scholarship at another university.
- Recipients of this scholarship cannot receive a scholarship from another scholarship organization while studying at APU.
- Recipients of this scholarship must have "student" as their status of residence (visa status) in Japan.
- Period of validity for the English Proficiency Test Score: April 2023 Enrollment: Only scores of examinations taken on or after January 18, 2021 will be accepted.
September 2023 Enrollment: Only scores of examinations taken on or after June 23, 2021 will be accepted.
- Full admission fee
- 100% of tuition (covered by the APU Tuition Reduction Scholarship)
- 144,000 JPY per month for living expenses (amount subject to change)
- April 2022 Enrollment: The MEXT Scholarship will be provided for one year from April 2022 to March 2023.
- September 2022 Enrollment: The MEXT Scholarship will be provided for six months from October 2022 to March 2023.
- Together with the Top Global University project ending on March 31, 2024, the MEXT Top Global University Project (SGU) Scholarship will cease to exist from April 2024 onwards. Therefore, the scholarship will be provided until March 2024 and will not continue after this.
Application and Selection Process
The application for 2022 enrollment has closed.
The application for 2023 enrollment will start in September 2022.