JICA Scholarship for Nikkei Communities in Latin America and the Caribbean: Program for Developing Leaders in Nikkei Communities (Nikkei Leader Scholarship)
Nikkei Leader Scholarship
To be considered for this scholarship, applicants must first apply to APU. After being accepted to APU, applicants must then apply to the scholarship organization directly.
About the Scholarship
The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Scholarship for Nikkei Communities in Latin America and the Caribbean: Program for Developing Leaders in Nikkei Communities (Nikkei Leader Scholarship) aims to assist Japanese emigrants in their resettlement efforts and to help them establish their lives overseas by nurturing future leaders among Nikkei communities.
- 1. Be a Japanese emigrant and descendant (in principle, up to third generation Nikkei)
- 2. Be a national of Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, or Venezuela
- 3. Be 40 years old or less as of April 1, 2023 (born after April 2, 1983)
- 4. Have Japanese language ability sufficient for daily life in Japan
- 5. Intend to enroll at APU in April 2023
- Those who are serving on active military duty or civilians employed by the military at the time of application are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Those who are currently employed must resign or take a leave of absence from work prior to enrolling at APU.
- Those who are scheduled to receive a scholarship or financial aid from another organization while studying at APU are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Those who plan to engage in employment while studying at APU are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Recipients must have "student" as their status of residence (visa status) while studying in Japan and are not allowed to engage in work activities other than those permitted by the Ministry of Justice of Japan.
- Full admission fee
- Full tuition
- Approximately 5,000 JPY per day for living expenses (amount subject to change)
- 100,000 JPY for purchasing daily necessities upon arrival in Japan
- 164,000 – 224,000 JPY moving (housing) allowance
- 6,000 JPY document shipping allowance
- Economy class air travel between the home country and APU at the beginning and end of the program
Application and Selection Process
Application for 2023 has closed.
Scholarship for Nikkei Communities in Latin America and the Caribbean: Program for Developing Leaders in Nikkei Communities