Select a Language

Student Visa | APU Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University

Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University International Undergraduate Admissions

Apply for Student Visa and Travel to Japan

Student Visa

You are required to obtain a student visa in order to live and study in Japan. Furthermore, if you intend to receive the Tuition Reduction Scholarship from our university, it is compulsory that you hold a student visa. In the unlikely event that we are unable to confirm your stay permit under a student visa, the Tuition Reduction Scholarship awarded to you will be automatically revoked.

1. For Those Residing Outside Japan Who Do Not Possess Any Type of Japanese Visa

(1) Application of the Certificate of Eligibility for a Status of Residence (COE)

In order to obtain a student visa, it is necessary to have the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) which will be officially issued by the Japanese Immigration Bureau. APU will apply for the COE on your behalf as long as you meet all the criteria below.

  • 1. Applicants who have chosen APU to apply for the COE on their behalf.
  • 2. Applicants who have paid all the necessary enrollment procedure fees by the stipulated deadlines.
  • 3. Applicants who are able to prove they possess sufficient finances for their period of study and have submitted all the required documents.
  • 4. Those applicants deemed appropriate by the university.
Terms and Conditions:
  • - Fake documents and untrue statements will result in cancellation of admission even if you have officially enrolled at our university.
  • - As your COE will be issued by the Japanese Immigration Bureau and the student visa will be granted by a Japanese embassy, APU does not take any responsibility in the case that you are unable to obtain either of these. The admission fee will not be refunded under any circumstances.
  • - In the case that you will enter Japan under any other visa (e.g. family visa, spouse visa), APU is unable to apply for the COE on your behalf.
  • - Once APU is able to confirm payment of necessary fees and your intent to enroll at our university, and you agree to the conditions above, APU will proceed to apply for the COE on your behalf.

(2) Procedures for Obtaining the COE

When APU applies for and receives the COE on the student's behalf, APU will then send the COE to the admitted applicants with the Notification of Admission Approval. After receiving those documents, admitted applicants are required to apply for a student visa at a Japanese embassy/consulate general with the following documents*:

  • i. Certificate of Eligibility for a Status of Residence (COE)
  • ii. Notification of Admission Approval
  • iii. Passport
  • iv. One photograph (45mm square)
  • v. Other documents
  • * Documents may differ depending on the country/region you reside in. Since some of these documents may take time to be prepared, please contact the Japanese embassy/consulate general for further information as early as possible.

2. For Those Residing in Japan Who Possess A Valid Student Visa

Incoming students who already possess a student visa must renew their visa and if they will move to a new address when entering APU, they must change their address with their local municipal government office.

(1) Extending a Student Visa

You can apply to extend your valid student visa at the immigration bureau covering the area where you live or at the immigration bureau in Oita. It usually takes 14 days to complete the extension. However, as it may take more time, you should ask the immigration bureau where you intend to apply for further information.

(2) Change of Address

Be sure to submit a notification of moving out to the local government office for the municipality where you lived before enrolling at APU. You will be unable to submit a change of address unless you have completed a notification of moving out. After enrolling, take your alien registration certificate or residence card to your local municipal government office, submit a notification of moving in, and report your new address.

(3) Change of Affiliated Organization

If a student has three months or more remaining on their student visa upon enrollment, in general, they must notify immigration of their change in affiliated organization. If this applies to you, contact the Student Office after enrollment regarding this matter.

3. Other Cases

Please contact the Admissions Office immediately.

Arriving at APU

1. Booking Your Flight to Japan

When booking your flight, please proceed only after confirming the date of entrance to AP House. Please make arrangements for travel insurance on your own. The National Health Insurance coverage begins from the day you arrive in Japan.

2. AP House Entrance Date

Please be sure to arrive at AP House during the following periods:
The end of March for April enrollees
Middle of September for September enrollees

3. Sending Luggage in Advance

When you send luggage prior to your arrival at AP House, please send it during one of the following periods:

  • - After March 19th for April enrollees
  • - After September 9th for September enrollees
  • However, the limit is two boxes per person.

[ Address for Sending Luggage ]
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University AP House 2
Jumonjibaru 1-2, Beppu-shi, Oita-ken 874-8577 Japan
TEL: +81-977-78-1901
*Be sure to write your APPLICATION NUMBER and NAME clearly in ALPHABET on all parcels you send.

4. Arrival Assistance Service

APU provides a free-of-charge Arrival Assistance Service for new students. Students will be greeted at the airport and directed to buses bound for APU. This service is available at Fukuoka Airport (international terminal only) and Oita Airport. Please make your own travel arrangements to AP House if you intend to arrive outside the Arrival Assistance Service period or use airports other than the above two.

Arrival Assistance Service at Fukuoka Airport (International Terminal)
Students on domestic flights arriving at Fukuoka Airport (domestic terminal) are requested to use the free-of-charge shuttle bus service to go to the international terminal where the arrival assistance service is available.

1. Assistants from APU will greet incoming students at the arrival lobby.

2. Assistance will be provided for converting currencies into Japanese yen.
Some of the foreign currencies accepted include US dollars (USD), Euro(EUR), Chinese Yuan (CNY), Indonesia Rupiah (IDR), Korean Won (KRW), Taiwanese Dollars (TWD), Thai Baht (THB) and Vietnamese Dong (VND).
  • * Please check the opening hours of the currency exchange counters and banks at Fukuoka Airport on theire website in advance. If you will arrive at the airport after the opening hours, be sure you have purchase Japanese yen before you departure.
3. Assistance will be provided for purchasing bus tickets and directions will be given to airport buses bound for APU.
  • * Please bear in mind that bus tickets and transportation charges will be borne by the student.
  • * The arrival assistants will NOT board the non-stop airport buses with the students.
  • * The last bus leaving Fukuoka Airport is at about 21:30. New enrollees who arrive later than the last bus will have to stay one night at a hotel near the airport and head for the university the next morning instead.
4. Student volunteers will greet you at Kosoku Beppu-wan bus stop and accompany you to AP House.

Arrival Assistance Service at Oita Airport
1. Assistants from APU will greet incoming students at the arrival lobby.

2. Assistance will be provided for converting currencies into Japanese yen.
The foreign currencies accepted are US dollars (USD), Euros (EUR) and Korean Won (KRW) only.
  • * Foreign exchange is available at the main information desk. Business hours are from 7:00 until about 21:00 when the last flight arrives.
3. Assistance will be provided for purchasing bus tickets, and directions will be given to airport buses bound for APU.
  • * Please bear in mind that bus tickets and transportation charges will be borne by the student.
  • * The arrival assistants will NOT board the airport buses with the students.
4. Student volunteers will greet you at Kamegawa (Furuichi) bus stop in Beppu and accompany you to AP House.

5. Luggage

1. Documents

Please bring the following documents with you when you come to APU: your flight ticket, passport, Certificate of Eligibility, Notification of Admission Approval, Resident Permit to AP House, Pre-enrollment assignments and “Tobira” (only for English-basis students), etc.
If you receive your residence card at the airport when you enter Japan, please do not write anything on the back of the card as this will make the card invalid.

2. Money

After arriving in Japan, it takes time to open a Japanese bank account. Please bring enough cash with you to cover your first month’s expenses (living and text book costs, etc.).

3. Everyday Items

Tableware, cooking utensils and other items are available at the APU CO-OP shop. It is recommended that you only bring a minimum amount of clothes, books, stationery, medicine, and living expenses with you.

  • * You may bring at most two pieces of luggage (e.g. one suitcase and one carry bag) with you to APU.
    You will not be permitted on the airport bus if you have more than two pieces of luggage.

IMPORTANT for students taking medication

  • Students currently taking medication should speak with their doctor about treatment after enrollment. The types of medicine that can be brought into Japan are limited. Some medications are not permitted at all, while limited amounts of others are allowed. Incoming students should check with the Japanese Embassy in advance, and make any necessary preparations so that they can continue to take their medications after arriving.
  • * There are no psychiatric clinics with English support available in Oita Prefecture, where APU is located.
    * Any questions should be addressed to the APU Health Clinic.

AP House

1. What is AP House?

AP House is a student residential facility (dormitory) operated by Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University. AP House was established to provide a secure living environment. Life at AP House makes it easier for new students to get used to their new environment and make new friends.
All first year international students are required to stay at AP House for one academic year.

2. Room Types

AP House has both single and shared rooms. The university will assign you to a room.

3. Residence Duration

April enrollees may live in AP House from the end of March until the end of February next year. September enrollees may live in AP House from the middle of September until the end of August next year.

  • * In general, students may live in AP House for a full academic year (11 months).

4. Rent

The monthly rent for AP House is 49,000 JPY. Rent will be automatically withdrawn from a designated bank account on the first every month after moving in. For example, you will pay for June’s rent on June 1.

5. Other Information

  • 1. Smoking is allowed only in designated smoking areas and is prohibited in individual rooms.
  • 2. As explained above, procedures (such as receiving keys) on your day of arrival will be conducted at AP House reception.
  • 3. You may not bring refrigerators, kerosene stoves, gas cookers, or large items of furniture in to AP House.
  • 4. AP House doesn’t serve any meals. You may use the cafeteria on campus or cook in the shared kitchen at AP House. As AP House does not supply any cooking utensils, please be sure to bring or buy your own. A microwave oven and a toaster are provided in the kitchen.
  • 5. AP House cooking stoves are all induction heater (IH) types. Only pans designed for use on IH stoves can be used.