2017 Academic and Cultural Experience (ACE) Program
Dates: Sunday, July 30 – Sunday, August 6, 2017 (8 days)
We invite you to join the 2017 ACE (Academic and Cultural Experience) Program, an exciting and unique study abroad experience at Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU), an international university in Beppu, Japan. High school students from all over the world who are between grades 10 and 12 at the time of this program are welcome to apply.
As a participant in this program, you will engage in workshops and group work focused on the themes of language and culture while being fully immersed in APU’s diverse environment. Through these activities, you will develop your multicultural understanding and intercultural communication skills. This program also includes a home stay and other activities with the local community, where you will experience authentic traditions and the hospitality of Oita Prefecture.
Participating in the ACE Program will allow you to make friends with people from other countries, while learning about language and culture. This will undoubtedly be an unforgettable experience that will contribute to your future. Don’t miss this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!
- Experience college life and interact with APU students at Japan’s most multicultural university
- Learn about the Japanese culture and language
- Enjoy home stay in a local community
- Engage in workshops and group work focused on the themes of language and culture
- Be interested in pursuing an international career in the future
- Be interested in collaborating with students from different countries, cultures and backgrounds
- Be interested in studying abroad as a university student
- Be interested in Japanese traditions and culture
- Have a good command of English
Sunday, July 30 – Sunday, August 6, 2017 (eight days)
Applicants must be high school students between grades 10 and 12 at the time of this program.
RECOMMENDED LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY*:
It is recommended that applicants who are non-native English speakers have a level of English proficiency(*) equivalent to one of the following:
- TOEFL iBT® Test: 61 or above
- IELTS: 5.5 or above
- * You do not need to submit any English tests scores to apply. This is only for your reference.
40 students (20 minimum)
APU (Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University) and other locations around Oita Prefecture, Japan
Five nights in AP House (APU’s on-campus dormitory) in a shared room with up to eight people, two nights in home stay residence
- 100,000 JPY
Program fee includes:
- Round-trip transportation between Fukuoka International Airport and APU.
- Travel within Japan over the duration of the program
- Accommodation costs during the program, including home stay fee
- Three meals per day (from lunch on July 30 to breakfast on August 6)
- Travel insurance (You will be covered from July 30 to August 6 and only while you are in Japan.)
Other expenses not listed in the above items will be the responsibility of each participant.
ITINERARY (subject to change):
Arrival and check into AP House
AM: Opening Ceremony
PM: Japanese language lesson and activity with APU student clubs
AM: Lecture on Japanese culture
PM: Wear traditional Japanese clothes; group work with APU students
AM: Sightseeing in Beppu and lunch at a sushi restaurant
PM: Leave for home stay in a nearby town
|August 3||Spend time with host family|
AM: Farewell Party with host families
PM: Tea ceremony
Shopping in Oita City
Evening: Farewell dinner and ceremony
HOW TO APPLY:
1. APPLICATION DOCUMENTS AND PROCESS
February 1 through March 31, 2017
Note: We must receive your documents through email by March 31, 2017
Send your completed application and the following required documents by email to APU at email@example.com
- 1. APU Academic and Cultural Experience (ACE) Program Application Form
- 2. Signed Participation Terms (will be available in January)
- 3. One Photo (for identification purposes)
4. Copy of Passport (photo page)
Your passport must have at least six months of validity remaining from the day you will enter Japan. Even if do not yet possess a passport, you are still eligible to apply. However, once you are selected to be an ACE participant, you will be asked to apply for one as early as possible.
5. Certificate of Enrollment at Current School
Please use your school’s official form and get it signed by the principal and/or stamped with an official school seal. An official signed and dated translation must also be included for any documents that are submitted in a language other than English.
Note: If you are selected to be a participant, you will be asked to send the original certificate by post.
2. SCREENING AND RESULTS ANNOUNCEMENT
The results will be announced on Thursday, April 20, 2017 by email.
3. PROGRAM FEE PAYMENT
The program fee must be paid by wire transfer by the due date listed below. Detailed information on how to complete the payment will be sent with your screening result.
Program fee: 100,000 JPY
Payment Deadline: Wednesday, May 31, 2017
4. APPLYING FOR A VISA (if applicable)
After receiving your program payment, APU will mail additional documents by post to participants who need to apply for a visa to enter Japan. Once you receive the documents, please apply for the visa at your nearest Japanese embassy or consulate.
If you are a resident of Viet Nam, Indonesia, Thailand, China, Taiwan or Korea, contact your local APU office; for all other residents, contact APU directly if you have any questions about the ACE Program.
Admissions Office (International) "APU 2017 ACE Program"
1-1 Jumonjibaru Beppu, Oita 874-8577 Japan
China Ritsumeikan Liaison Office –Shanghai Jiaotong UniversityD, 18F Shentong Xinxi Guangchang, No. 55, Huaihai West Rd
Shanghai City 200030, China
Indonesia APU Indonesia Information CenterC/O MARQUEE, Mayapada Tower I,
11th Floor, Jl.Jend. Sudirman Kav. 28
Jakarta 12920, Indonesia
Tel: +62-21-5289 7328 / 7392
Korea APU Korea Office#608, Halla Classic Officetel 5th Floor, 23 Gangnam Daero 84 Gil,
Gangnam-gu, Seoul 135-934 Korea
Thailand APU Thailand Office1015 Room, 10th Floor, Serm-mit Tower
159/16 Soi Asoke,
Sukhumvit 21 Road, Wattana, Bangkok 10110 Thailand
Viet Nam APU Viet Nam Office1st Floor, No A31D11, Alley 66/1, Tran Thai Tong St., Cau Giay district, Hanoi, Vietnam
Taiwan APU Taiwan OfficeC/O MIBC, F10F., NO.209, Sec. 1, Civic Blvd., Datong Dist., Taipei City 103