2018 Academic and Cultural Experience (ACE) Program
SCHEDULE① Sunday, July 1 – Sunday, July 8, 2018 (8 days)
SCHEDULE② Monday, July 30 - Monday, August 6, 2018 (8 days)
- *ACE program 2018 brochure will be available soon
We invite you to join the 2018 ACE (Academic and Cultural Experience) Program, an exciting and unique study abroad experience at Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU), an international university in Beppu, Japan. The program is conducted entirely in English. High school students from all over the world who are between grades 10 and 12 at the time of this program are welcome to apply. We are offering the program twice this year and you can choose the schedule that best fits your interest and availability.
As a participant in this program, you will engage in workshops and group work focused on the themes of language and culture while being fully immersed in APU’s diverse environment. Through these activities, you will develop your multicultural understanding and intercultural communication skills. This program also includes a home stay and other activities with the local community, where you will experience authentic traditions and the hospitality of Oita Prefecture.
Participating in the ACE Program will allow you to make friends with people from other countries, while learning about language and culture. This will undoubtedly be an unforgettable experience that will contribute to your future. Don’t miss this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!
- Experience college life and interact with APU students at Japan’s most multicultural university
- Learn about the Japanese culture and language
- Enjoy a home stay in a local community
- Engage in workshops and group work focused on the themes of language and culture
- Be interested in pursuing an international career in the future
- Be interested in collaborating with students from different countries, cultures and backgrounds
- Be interested in studying abroad as a university student
- Be interested in Japanese traditions and culture
- Have a good command of English
Schedule① Sunday, July 1 – Sunday, July 8, 2018 (8 days)
Schedule② Monday, July 30 – Monday, August 6, 2018 (8 days)
Applicants must be high school students between grades 10 and 12 at the time of this program.
RECOMMENDED LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY*:
The program is conducted entirely in English therefore it is recommended that applicants who are non-native English speakers have a level of English proficiency (*) equivalent to one of the following:
- TOEFL®iBT Test: 61 or above, TOEFL®PBT Test 500 or above, TOEFL®ITP Test 500 or above
- IELTS: 5.5 or above
- TOEIC 700 or above
- * You do not need to submit any English tests scores to apply. This is only for your reference.
40 students (20 minimum) from multiple high schools for each schedule
APU (Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University) and other locations around Oita Prefecture, Japan
Five nights in AP House (APU’s on-campus dormitory) in a shared room with up to eight people and two nights in a home stay residence
- 100,000 JPY
- * There is no scholarship available for this program.
Program fee includes:
- Round-trip transportation between Fukuoka Airport/Oita Airport/Beppu station and APU.
- Travel within Japan over the duration of the program
- Accommodation costs during the program, including home stay fee
- Three meals per day (from lunch on the first day (①July 1, ②July 30) to breakfast on the last day (①July 8, ②August 6))
- Travel insurance (You will be covered only while you are in Japan for the duration of the program (①July 1 to July 8, ②July 30 to August 6). Therefore, you will NOT be covered on your way from your country to Japan or after the program.)
Other expenses not listed in the above items will be the responsibility of each participant.
ITINERARY (subject to change):
*APU admissions office staff and APU students will guide you throughout the program from your arrival to departure. Therefore, there is no need for you to be accompanied by a chaperon from your high school.
|July 1 (Sun)||July 30 (Mon)||
Arrival and check into AP House
|July 2 (Mon)||July 31 (Tue)||Schedule①||Schedule②|
*Join up with Japanese high school students visiting APU for another summer program and participate in activities together until Aug 4 (Sat).
|July 3 (Tue)||August 1 (Wed)||
|July 4 (Wed)||August 2 (Thu)||Spend time with host family||
|July 5 (Thu)||August 3 (Fri)||
||Spend time with host family|
|July 6 (Fri)||August 4 (Sat)||
(Topic: Issues around Asia Pacific regions)
|July 7 (Sat)||August 5 (Sun)||
Shopping in Oita City
Evening Farewell dinner and ceremony
|July 8 (Sun)||August 6 (Mon)||Departure|
HOW TO APPLY:
1. APPLICATION DOCUMENTS AND PROCESS
Mid-January through March 9, 2018
Note: We must receive your documents through email by March 9, 2018.
Send your completed application and the following required documents by email at email@example.com.
- 1. APU Academic and Cultural Experience (ACE) Program Application Form (will be available in January)
- 2. Signed Participation Terms (will be available in January)
- 3. One Photo (for identification purposes)
4. Copy of Passport (photo page)
Your passport must have at least six months of validity remaining from the day you will enter Japan. Even if you do not yet possess a passport, you are still eligible to apply. However, once you are selected to be an ACE participant, you will be asked to apply for one as early as possible.
5. Academic Transcript from Your Current School (All available transcripts from every year/semester you attended high school)
Please use your school’s official form and get it signed by the principal and/or stamped with an official school seal. An official signed and dated translation must also be included for any documents that are submitted in a language other than English.
Note: If you are selected to be a participant, you will be asked to send the original certificate by post.
2. SCREENING AND RESULTS ANNOUNCEMENT
The results will be announced on Friday, March 30, 2018 by email.
3. PROGRAM FEE PAYMENT
The program fee must be paid by wire transfer by the due date listed below. Detailed information on how to complete the payment will be sent with your screening result.
Program fee: 100,000 JPY
*There is no scholarship available for this program.
Payment Deadline: Friday, Apr 27, 2018
4. APPLYING FOR A VISA (if applicable)
After receiving your program payment, APU will mail additional documents by post to participants who need to apply for a visa to enter Japan. Once you receive the documents, please apply for the visa at your nearest Japanese embassy or consulate.
If you are a resident of Viet Nam, Indonesia, Thailand, China, Taiwan or Korea, contact your local APU office; for all other residents, contact APU directly if you have any questions about the ACE Program.
Admissions Office (International) "APU 2018 ACE Program"
1-1 Jumonjibaru Beppu, Oita 874-8577 Japan
China Ritsumeikan Liaison Office –Shanghai Jiaotong UniversityD, 18F Sun Tong Infoport Plaza, No. 55, Huaihai West Rd.,
Shanghai City 200030, China
Indonesia APU Indonesia Information CenterC/O MARQUEE, Mayapada Tower I,
11th Floor, Jl.Jend. Sudirman Kav. 28
Jakarta 12920, Indonesia
Tel: +62-21-5289 7328 / 7392
Korea APU Korea Office#608, Halla Classic Officetel 6th Floor, 23 Gangnam Daero 84 Gil,
Gangnam-gu, Seoul 135-934 Korea
Thailand APU Thailand Office1015 Room, 10th Floor, Serm-mit Tower
159/16 Soi Asoke,
Sukhumvit 21 Road, Wattana, Bangkok 10110 Thailand
Viet Nam (Hanoi) APU Viet Nam OfficeA31D11, Alley 66/1, Lane 84, Tran Thai Tong Street, Cau Giay district, Hanoi, Vietnam
Viet Nam (Ho Chi Minh) APU Viet Nam Office238/2B Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street, Ward 6, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Taiwan APU Taiwan OfficeC/O MIBC, F10F., NO.209, Sec. 1, Civic Blvd., Datong Dist., Taipei City 103