LIST OF SCHOLARSHIPS AND QUALIFYING ACADEMIC PROGRAMS AT APU (2023 INTAKE)
APU Students are eligible to receive a number of scholarships through organizations outside of APU. Each scholarship has different eligibility requirements and application procedures, so please be sure to review the information on the respective scholarship organization’s website before applying.
Note that the eligibility requirements are stipulated by the scholarship organizations. In case of contradicting information, the scholarship organization's guidelines take precedence over APU's materials.
The APU Tuition Reduction Scholarship is open to all the graduate school applicants. The scholarship covers 30%, 50%, 65%, 80% or 100% of tuition costs during the standard period of program completion.
*This table can be scrolled to the right.
|Scholarship||GSA (Doctoral Program)||GSA (Master's)||GSA (IMAT)||GSM (MBA)||Application Process|
|AfDB-JADS||×||✔||×||✔||Apply to APU|
|ADB-JSP||×||✔||×||×||Apply to APU|
|MEXT (Embassy)||✔||✔||×||✔||1) Apply to organization
2) Apply to APU
|MEXT (SGU)||✔||✔||×||✔||Apply to APU|
|MEXT (UR)||✔||✔||×||✔||Apply to APU|
|Nikkei Leader Scholarship||✔||✔||×||×||1) Apply to APU
2) Apply to organization
|Nikkei Scholarship||✔||✔||×||✔||1) Apply to organization
2) Apply to APU
|Rotary Yoneyama||✔||✔||×||✔||1) Apply to APU
2) Apply to organization
- AfDB-JADS: African Development Bank - Japan Africa Dream Scholarship
- ADB-JSP: Asian Development Bank - Japan Scholarship Program
- Honjo Scholarship: Scholarship for Foreign Students Studying in Japanese Graduate School
- MEXT (Embassy): Japanese Government (MEXT) Embassy Recommendation Scholarship
- MEXT (SGU): Japanese Government (MEXT) Top Global University Project (SGU) Scholarship
- MEXT (UR): Japanese Government (MEXT) University Recommendation Scholarship
- Nikkei Leader Scholarship: Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Scholarship for Nikkei Communities in Latin America and the Caribbean: Program for Developing Leaders in Nikkei Communities
- Nikkei Scholarship: The Nippon Foundation Nikkei Scholarship “Dream Come True Project”
- Rotary Yoneyama: Rotary Yoneyama Scholarship for Overseas Candidate
Notes for All External Scholarships
- 1.Due to the time required to create a bank account and arrival procedures, students will not receive the first installment of living expenses until at least one month after arriving in Japan. Scholarship recipients are therefore advised to bring at least 100,000 JPY along with them to Japan to cover initial expenses.
- 2.If the applicant cannot arrive in Japan during the set arrival period, travel expenses to Japan will not be paid to applicants expected to receive them. Furthermore, if the arrival is delayed for a considerable period of time, the scholarship may be revoked.
- 3.Those who have or will receive scholarships from other institutions, including their own government, will not be selected for these scholarships. As many scholarship institutions prohibit receiving dual or more scholarships, please be sure to confirm any regulations on receiving dual scholarships.
- 4.Any false statements made in the application documents could be grounds for revoking a grantee’s scholarship at a later date.
- 5.Some of the application guidelines for these scholarships have not yet been announced, so there may be changes to the eligibility requirements and/or scholarship awards. In addition, detailed rules and conditions that applicants must comply with to receive the scholarship are available on each organization’s website. Please be sure to confirm the regulations before applying.
- 6.If you would like to apply for both the Nikkei Leader Scholarship and the Nikkei Scholarship, please consult with both scholarship organizations before applying to APU.
ADDITIONAL EXTERNAL SCHOLARSHIPS
APU also accepts graduate students on scholarship programs from other organizations. Please refer to their websites for details regarding eligibilities and application procedures.
Japanese Grant Aid for Human Resource Development Scholarship (JDS)
The Project for the Promotion and Enhancement of the Afghan Capacity for Effective Development (PEACE)
Japanese Initiative for the Future of Syrian Refugees (JISR)
African Business Education Initiative for Youth (ABE Initiative)
EXTERNAL SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE AFTER ENROLLING AT APU
JASSO Scholarships for Privately Financed International Students
JASSO Scholarships are awarded to privately financed international students with excellent academic and character record who have received pre-arrival admissions to APU graduate school. The scholarship results will be announced after arriving to Japan. The combined acceptance rate for both JASSO Scholarships for the 2022 academic year was 84.3% of the privately financed graduate students.
Jasso Scholarship for Privately-Financed International Students
The Ryoichi Sasakawa Young Leaders Fellowship Fund (Sylff)
The Ryoichi Sasakawa Young Leaders Fellowship Fund (Sylff) was established at Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University thanks to the generosity of the Tokyo Foundation for Policy Research's The Ryoichi Sasakawa Young Leaders Fellowship Fund (Sylff). Every year, one graduate student from each graduate school will be recommended for this scholarship.
Application guidelines will be provided after enrollment via APU's Student Office.
Other Scholarships Available After Enrollment
Other external scholarships may also be available to students after beginning their studies at APU. If eligible, students can apply for these scholarships through APU’s Student Office on campus. Further information about scholarships available after enrollment can be found on our official website.
Please note that some of the scholarships listed on the website are only available for undergraduate students and that scholarship details may be provided only in Japanese.
Scholarships available to international students for studying in Japan are also listed on the following website:
Independent Administrative Institution Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)
Plesase refer to the following pages for more information.